It is never easy to lose weight – it is a long-term commitment that requires dedication and perseverance. It is even harder if you are under the impression that you will lose weight in a matter of days. While there are quick fixes to weight problems, such as pills and surgical operations, taking up an active lifestyle is still the cheapest and most effective way to lose some pounds.
The road to a healthier lifestyle is no easy feat, and you should know this by heart. You should realize that hitting the gym once will not make you lose significant amount of weight. If from the get-go you are aware that it would take you months to see results, you are off to a good start.
Realistic Tips to Healthier You
Don’t believe in false pretenses that losing weight is easy as it is the other way around. However, you should never feel discouraged. By following the tips below, you can become a better and healthier version of yourself without putting a hole on your pockets.
- Monitor what you eat – If you are the type of person who pigs out on a daily basis, caring less about the food you take, then you should know that you are slowly compromising your health. You don’t have to be purist when it comes to eating healthy foods, by just being more conscious about the food you eat, you will see vast improvements in your body. Stay away from foods that are packed with so many calories, such as fast foods. As much as possible, eat foods that are low in calories.
- Stretch some muscles and sweat – Losing weight is not only about the food you eat but also how you burn the calories from the food you consumed. You may want to sign for a gym membership or just to live a much more active lifestyle. If before you dread exercise, try to slowly introduce yourself with more active but very basic exercise regimen like walking or running in your neighborhood. You may also want to invest on home gym fitness equipment so you will not have any excuse not to sweat some of the excess pounds you got.
- Pick a new hobby – Exercising in the gym can be plain boring for some, and if you are the type of person who is willing to be more adventurous, then trying a new hobby that requires more energy is strongly recommended. You can do hiking, biking, yoga, or martial arts. These activities are fun, and the point is, you are losing weight while doing something enjoyable. Before you know it, you are already losing significant amount of weight.
- Look for a fitness partner – He or she can be your friend, colleague, office mate, spouse, or relative. The good thing about having a fitness partner is that you will have each other to motivate and push to the limits. It is much easier to do exercise programs using fitness equipment if you are doing with someone you know. Your fitness partner will motivate you, pushing you to territories you once thought impossible.
- Make it a habit – According to some authors and researchers, it takes about 21 days before an average person can make a habit. So, if you are planning to live a healthier and more active lifestyle, be consistent and stick to your program without stopping and hesitations until you make it a habit. Once you form this habit, it is a smooth-sailing ride until you reach your goals.
It is never easy to lose weight if you don’t believe in yourself. Don’t fool yourself that you will get the weight you want in a matter of weeks, instead you should instill in your mind that it will be a long road, but the journey will be worth it – one pound at a time.